SNM Website Updated
The Studio for New Media website has been upgraded from Plone 2.0.0 to Plone 2.5.2, the current version. This will enable many new features, some of which will be useful to the entire community.
The new Plone 2.5 has some exciting features, including:
- AJAX interfaces for things such as re-sorting items in a folder. Now it's drag and drop.
- AJAX previews of search results. Just start typing a search phrase in the top right search box, and you'll immediately see what search results you will get if you hit 'return'.
- Versioning. You'll be able to see previous versions of any page on the site, and the system will be able to highlight (like Microsoft Word's "Track Changes") the differences between any two versions of any page on the site.
- New Caching Infrastructure. Leads to between 10x to 40x faster page loads of the view templates, depending on setup — and makes caching transparent to the end-user.
- Smart folders. The "News" and "Events" items on the site are now "smart folders", which automatically organize all recent news items and upcoming events, and automatically move expired events into a separate view. So our events view will now only show upcoming items—never past events, unless you go specifically to the "Archived Events" smart folder.
- WYSIWYG Editing. We've installed and turned on the FCKeditor, a Microsoft Word-like editor for posting and editing pages on the site. Now no more "structured text" or manual HTML coding. It's all done through a familiar, Word-like AJAX interface.